The Napoles Babble

napoles

Source: The Inquirer

Let me drop off this quick blog because my typewriter this morning just will not shut down.

Word from Lorna Kapunan, the attorney for Janet Napoles, is that the alleged centerpoint for grand larceny of taxpayer money intended to help those in need, is that the jailbird Napoles is singing to herself.

That is, talking to herself.

That is, her mental state is  coming into question.

Now I’m of the guess (because I really don’t know) that this is not gameplaying with the goal of getting a more comfy jail cell (she’d really prefer home arrest) or easier treatment (she’d really prefer to be free while Benhur Luy gets strung up from some distant flagpole by his loose lips).

Nor was her recent dash to the hospital in pain and vomiting play acting. I’ll guess the woman is both physically and mentally ill, the mental condition brought on by the stresses of guilt and angst from her own deeds, and the way the entire Philippines has risen up to let loose one huge snarl at her.

And her poor kids have had their bank accounts locked up. Her privileged daughter can no longer cavort freely with the rich and famous of Hollywood and its suburb, Los Angeles. Instead, the family is evidently trying to bail out of a lot of the property they own to get some money that is not in frozen accounts.

Well, contrary to some, I’m sure, I actually feel sorry for the elder Napoles. She moves into the category of pitiable.

I’m assuming Mr. Luy’s loose lips are telling the truth, to the letter and peso. She ripped us off. So I’d rather she went into the pressure cooker completely sane and filled with a huge, growing awareness of what is going on, and with a clear recognition of what an ill-bred, unkind woman she is.

I want her to want to pay the money back.

Going off babbling is simply too easy. We’ll have her in a straight jacket and Gloria Arroyo in a neck brace and I have no idea what Ampatuan is wearing or what medical apparel the other rip-off artists are looking at.

I suspect that a lot of formerly esteemed Filipinos have begun the Napoles Babble. It started when President Aquino was elected and they said, “oh, shit, he really is going to hunt down crooks.” And when Benhur did his report of the sane and revealing kind, then the noise level in rich people’s homes across the nation rose to a cacaphony of “what are we going to do now?”

Well, Gigi fled, but the Philippines will hunt her down. She has babbled to the press, of course, in response to the Enrile babble. Indeed the three senators rise up now and then from the senatorial waters, like rising gas in a bath tub, to cut loose babble about as whiny, excuse-laden and attack mode as you will hear anywhere. I’m guessing Senator Estrada’s privilege babble was among the most elegant scapegoating and slip slidng away in the history of the Senate’s hollow halls.

You know what I have not heard one word of yet?

Accountability.

No one has claimed ANY mistake, any bad deed, any negligence.

No one. Zero. Zip. Nada.

Crooks are like that.

The money is gone. The LGUs and NGOs never got it. The senators authorized its expenditure. But it’s not their fault the money went away.

There is a whole lot of babble going on in the Philippines these days.

May it become a force of hesitation to those considering ill deeds. May it become a dark and stern force of penalty that cuts through the impunity that crooks ordinarily feel.

May it help change the fabric of the Philippines . . . to one of honor and good deeds.

Comments
21 Responses to “The Napoles Babble”
  1. ikalwewe says:

I heard of talks of making Napoles a state witness and giving her immunity. This makes me sad, angry and frustrated. The lady stole from us billions of pesos and you want her to enjoy immunity? What made anyone in his right mind think that once she has immunity, she will tell all? And what about her whistle blowers? I believe in setting a precedence. Let’s stop playing cute. Death penalty, why not? Or am I being harsh?

I think it depends on who you think the greater thief is, Napoles or the legislators and government officials who gave her money and got a piece back. Those who argue for immunity believe she could seal convictions of the legislators and they are the more extreme crooks. Myself, I hate dealing with a crook to catch a crook. The defense will argue she is not trustworthy and is scapegoating the legislators to save her own hide. The whistle-blowers have given plenty of evidence. Tracking the money should provide more. I agree with you that she should not be given immunity.

Death penalty is not allowed by Philippine Constitution, and I think it would be harsh if it were. Her attitude of impunity is pretty common in the country, actually, she just carried it to gross excess. I’d rather there be a massive wake-up call that says we need better values widely across the Philippines.

• ikalwewe says:

Napoles is the biggest thief here,methinks. She was the Queen of scams, the masterminds,allegedly approached by the politicians, not the other way around.(And didn’t she take the bigger cut?) But that doesn’t mean those in cohorts with her should get away. They should be punished too. It’s lamentable that death penalty is out of the question. It’s one way to prove to people that the govt means business, that stealing from people don’t pay. Why waste more taxpayers’ money by keeping them in jail? The whistle blower’s evidence and the fact finding committee’s (if it exists, if not, then it’s about time to make one)hard evidence should be enough to punish the guilty, not one crooks’word against another. I read a book about the Mafia boss Skinny Joey Merlino and how he was put to jail after gathering solid evidence against him(rats, undercover work, etc) .This of course cost a lot of money but surely it’s worth it? Can’t we do the same?

2. brianitus says:

Uncle Joe,

I don’t know. I think the whole Napoles subpoena idea stinks. First, the Blue Ribbon Committee isn’t a trial court. Her appearance essentially is like a basketball exhibition match. Second, Napoles can invoke her right against self incrimination. Unless she’s really nuts and decides to tell all and bring everybody else down with her, we’re all in store for another circus in the Senate. Imho, the Senate is pressured to restore it’s credibility with a Hail Mary play like this one.

I agree with you. I have no idea what the Senate Blue Ribbon Committee intends to DO with all its testimony. What’s the plan? What laws are being considered? It seems to me they are just on a ego bash and meddling with the normal course of justice. Or as you say trying to posture the Senate as active in doing right. In the meantime, important lawmaking is not being attended to. Lacking a clear statement of objective, I consider the whole Committee undertaking to be a farce.

• essie says:

@brianitus – You took the words right out of my mouth. I’m gearing up for another farcical show in the Senate, starring the mother of all scams.

3. Geng says:

There is no difference between those crooks and the common criminals we see and read everyday – they will lie about their crimes when caught.
    One question that would be worth asking them should be as simple as this: how did Janet Lim – Napoles become so super rich if they had no connections whatsoever?

Yes. Her first answer was “my Indonesian Coal Company”, which proved to be untrue. “So what’s the TRUTH, Janet Dear?”

I wonder if she believes herself. If she knows what telling the truth means.

4. Edward says:

I was expecting that Sen. Estrada would categorically deny all allegations pertaining to his misuse of PDAF in his privilege speech. It turned out that my expectation was so high. Showing his senator-like skill of diverting an issue, he spent more than an hour complaining about the “selective” COA report. Instead of proving that he did not pocket a single peso from his PDAF, he ranted on about the unfairness of the audit. It is painfully obvious that it is impossible for Estrada and his cohorts to become repentant criminals. Why did Estrada have to cry injustice if the only question he needed to answer was whether or not he stole from the coffers of the government?

If there really is some truth behind what social observers call “banality of evil”, that some of those involved in the scam were only victims of a culture of corruption being normalized in a society like ours, then what we need is a system which institutionalizes transparency and improves accountability. The Freedom of Information is one component of such system.

As for Janet Napoles, we wish you well. You owe us the truth.

5. manuel buencamino says:

Napoles is singing to herself. That sounds like a shot across the bow from her lawyer. In brief, ” I advised her to invoke her right against self-incrimination, but at this point I don’t know if I can control her. So treat her gently because she just might go over the edge and bring all of you down.”

Because Napoles gave so much campaign donations to so many. She had conduits who may or may not have informed the recipients where the money came from but Napoles can say I gave X millions to so and so and he in turn gave it to candidates ABCD to Z. Guingona and company may yet regret calling her.

Another possibility, if Napoles does invoke her right against self-incrimination and I were one of the senators in trouble, I would ask her the following questions:
    1. Mrs Napoles is it true that Sen Guingona receives P10M a month as retainer from you?
    Mrs. Napoles: I invoke my right against self-incrimination.
    2. Is it true that you made available one of your condo units as a love nest for Sens. Cayetano and Escudero ?
    Mrs. Napoles: I invoke my right against self-incrimination.
    3. How much money did you donate to the campaign of Sens. A,B,C to Z? Please itemize per senator.
    Mrs. Napoles: I invoke my right against self-incrimination.

LBJ’s reply to an aide who told him that accusing his opponent of having sex with his pigs was a lie, “I know but I want to hear the bastard deny it.” 🙂

Ahahaha, that’s brilliant. I think the lady is truly nuts myself. The Attorney Kapunan is perhaps happy with the development because now she can stop fronting for a hopeless case using lies like “the money came from Indonesian coal”.

• Edward says:

Even if she uses her right against self-incrimination, Napoles would still have some secrets to share with us. I have read the full transcript of the roundtable discussion between the editors and writers of Inquirer and Napoles. I must say, she is not good at dodging probing questions. For example, one columnist asked her where she got her massive wealth;she said that it’s from coal trading. But when asked to give the name of the alleged Indonesian partner, she said she could not accurately spell it. What a ridiculous response!

I’ve coined a new phrase. When a person obtained his wealth from questionable sources, we can say that his money “came from Indonesian coal”. 🙂

ahahahaha, yes. That’s a good one. When I need a quote about the economy or mining I’ll say it “came from the manager of our Indonesian coal company.” Clearly an authoritative source. By Jove, I believe you have opened up a whole new area of support for arguments.

• Edward says:

Now all we have to do is wait until Napoles reveals that the “Indonesian coal company” of our dear senators and congressmen is much larger than the actual Indonesian coal reserves in terms of revenue potential.

6. Mel NL says:

Joe, I laughed so hard when you mentioned the costumes to wear by Napoles, Arroyo and Ampatuan. Good for the halloween. haha. Hope, the crooks go to jail..

7. Joseph-Ivo says:

Sometimes I feel like watching a puppet-show, cheering with the heroes, booing the villains. But as grown-up you have to admire the script writers too. To know who they are, don’t we have to look at the real big money?

Who is really interested in the status quo? In this unique inequality of wealth distribution and opportunities? Who is annoyed that the politicians they got elected because they are so self-oriented and incapable of developing any policy to better the nation are losing it? Can you imagine the risks they fear when they can’t manipulate independent thinking legislators, if the people start realizing that there is a way out of this mess by selecting the right senators and representatives instead of the clowns with a celebrity background or incapable offspring of forgone political glories they selected so far?

Not the story, but the story behind the story is of more interest. But before we deal with the real issues, let’s enjoy the puppet-show.

Ah, my, yes, absolutely great theater, and it seems as if the good guys are pushing ahead, sealing off all avenues of escape as internet savvy diggers unearth properties in the US and Philippines, connect the dots as to whom is benefiting, call out the liars and obfuscators, leaving the crooks no where to go. With the three hunters, women all, making their lists. De Lima, Morales, Hinares. The shrill attacks on the President are desperation, it seems to me, and he can withstand it. I hope the ombudsman steps up to the line soon and we see some official charges. Put the initiative back with the President.

Beware the snakes, though. This is only the first act. Act II begins in 2016.